Get eco-logical in school or youth groups for SustFest 2021!
The Sustainability Festival 2021 aka #SustFest21 is a 2 week festival of sustainability events across St Albans, Harpenden and the villages. In the last festival over 30 schools, scouts and guides took part with projects ranging from practical such as tree planting or restoring school ponds to pupil conferences on reducing plastic.
Schools Week for SustFest2021 will be 24th May to 28th May 2021. If you would like to take part this year (either then or at another time around the dates of the festival), think about what you can do and we will let you know how to register in the New Year 2021.
How to Register
to be updated soon!
Resources and Ideas
To get more ideas, resources and films for schools and youth groups see this NEW web page www.sustainablestalbans.org/schools/
Ideas for SustFest Schools/Youth Activities
A whole week or a few students on one activity – it’s up to you how much you do for SustFest but we’d love to have you on board!
Hold an enrichment day/week around….
- appreciating and protecting nature
- reduce / reuse / recycle
- climate change
Debate and Discuss
- get the students to take the lead – student conferences, debates, strategy meetings and assemblies are all appropriate for older students to run
- get parents to come in and dig over the veg beds
- plant seeds in newspaper pots
- take a group of children to help at Incredible Edible St Albans community food growing plots.
- build bug hotels
- plant a tree
- explore vegan cookery
- learn about sustainable fish
- monitor lights and interactive whiteboards to see if they are switched off
- launch a fundraising campaign for solar panels on your roof
- mount an anti-idling campaign aimed at parents for drop-off and pick-up
- explore a local park or nature area and find nature on your doorstep
- go on a bug hunt
- make pictures out of sticks and leaves
- have a “waste free lunch” challenge and try to cut food waste for the week
- do a litter pick
- build a greenhouse out of plastic bottles
- mount a campaign to use both sides of paper in school
- read Duffy the Sea Turtle and other books in the series to learn about plastics and marine life